Do you want to know the secret of becoming a professional photographer?
- It’s NOT being the best photographer
- It’s NOT having the best camera or lens
- It’s NOT having a photography degree
Then what is it?
It’s the ability to do MARKETING!
Yes, that’s right!
This is the single skill that distinguishes an amateur photographer from a professional!
Pro photographers know one very important secret, which is as follows (read it three times):
You can be a mediocre photographer but still be a successful professional photographer if you know how to market yourself. Whereas if you don’t know how to market yourself, then even if you are the best photographer, you will not be able to become a pro.
The example that I always like to give is to imagine that you are a great orator. But someone tells you to give a speech in a jungle. Then it doesn’t matter if you are a great orator or not because no one is there to listen.
Marketing allows your photography skill to shine because it is what gets you in front of the world.
So what are some of the marketing skills you should know as a photographer? These are:
- Learning digital marketing and specifically the ability to run paid ads (like Facebook or Google ads)
- Learning the skill of creating your own photography website.
- Learning the skill of SEO (Search Engine Optimization) to rank your website on the first page of Google so prospects can find you easily.
- Learning how to design images for your business
- Learning how to do email marketing
- Learning how to do webinars for generating awareness
The best part is that I have got detailed online courses on each of the topics above:
I have other marketing courses also. You can see them all here.
About the Author
Hi there, I'm Kush Sharma, the founder of Creative Pad Media, an organization dedicated to simplifying photography and videography education.
We have over 40 online courses that cover various genres in photography & videography, catering to both beginners as well as professionals. These courses are available via Udemy.com. Our courses have been downloaded in over 170 countries.
I hope to see you inside a course very soon!